Friday, March 19, 2010

XXX Oregon

Between the two of us, Renee and I have lived in eight different states. Eight years ago, we moved to Oregon, and back then, I couldn’t help but notice just how many adult shops there were around town and in such visible locations. This shop is right on I 5 south as you’re leaving town. There’s another shop next to the Wal-Mart in town and three strip clubs within just a couple mile radius of our church. Renee and I would say that of the eight states we’ve lived in (and the countless others we’ve visited) Oregon is by far the most X rated in that city ordinances allow for a disproportionate number of these types of institutions and in such high profile geographical sites.

A couple of weeks ago it dawned on me that after having lived here for eight years, I wasn’t as shocked by these shops any longer. I had actually become desensitized to these shops. They just blended in with the landscape. I remember when I first moved here that I actually prayed that these shops would shut down and our community would truly be even more of a family friendly community. Yet over time, I gave less thought to it and didn’t even think about it.

I’ve seen Christian people infighting over the most laughable issues and squabbling over the most ridiculous things. What if people of faith channeled their energies into truly seeing the Kingdom of God become a reality in our city? When was the last time we prayed that these shops would just shut down due to lack of revenue? What would happen in our communities if the Spirit of God truly swept across our cities as people of faith got their act together, became unified, and truly loved, served, and cared as Jesus taught so that people would rather be in church than in an adult establishment?

2 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger corinnepieper@yahoo.com said...

"I agree, with you so totally Pastor John."If god would sweep across our towns,and help shut down those adult stores,but on the other hand the draw back of it is,those stores,strip clubs are bringing in the finances into those towns,to help support those towns financially. I know it seems weird, and all to think about it that way,but it is true though. I can see both sides of pros,and cons of adult stores in towns.
corinne

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this.. just like that song says, "WHAT IF THE PEOPLE PRAYED" thank you for pointing this out..we do grow accustomed to things..ill definately be praying :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home