Friday, April 02, 2010

What Makes It "Good?"

Today is “Good” Friday, something of an oxymoron since there was nothing good about that Friday when Jesus hung on a cross. The question I grapple with is, “Why?” I’ve come to the realization that I will never understand why God in the person of Jesus would do such a thing. So the question becomes, “What am I going to do about it?” I like how someone put it in perspective, “Jesus was not crucified in a cathedral between two candles, but on a cross between two thieves, on the town garbage heap, at a crossroad .... It was the kind of place where cynics talk smut, thieves curse, and soldiers gamble. That’s where He died. And that’s where Christians ought to be and that’s what Christians ought to be about.” As I reflect upon that quote, I have hope that if followers of Christ truly make the mission of Christ a reality - the mission of bringing salvation and redemption and dignity to those who are lost, hurting, and broken, then I can truly refer to today as “good.”.

But the way, the picture is original artwork by my friend Jagdish Ganamukkala who lives in India

3 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous James Petticrew said...

That someone was Scotsman George Mcleod, Church of Scotland minister,defender of the poor, fighter of injustice and founder of the Iona community and restorer of Iona Abbey. Probably the most important Christian leader in Soctland in the 20th century

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger John M. Hanna said...

Thank you James for clarifying that!

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous corinnepieper@yahoo.com said...

Pastor John, I will always be the type of person who wants to take away a person's pain,hurt,or being lost,and needs a christian friend in Life.I,sometimes feel like I am being crucified in life,to where I can feel other people's pain,and being the "Humanitarian" I am in life,being with the Red Cross trying to help make a difference in a person's life. That is what I am all about,being there for other people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home